Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A new diet

It is no secret that I have been having all kinds of problems with migraines.  I have also been questioning some other things that have been going on with my body.  I have been seeking answers, but still I am not sure if they have been found yet.  This search has led me to a new Naturopath.  I am a firm believer that we are what we eat and that gut health is a huge part of our overall health.

I had some testing and it turns out that my thyroid is low and that I am highly reactive to many foods.  Now the low thyroid is common for being postpartum, so I am not getting really excited about this.  Now the reactive foods really threw me for a loop.  I eliminated processed soy and corn from my diet two years ago because I did not feel that they were healthy for me to consume.  Really, once you eliminate processed soy and corn you eliminate a good portion of all the crap junk food on the market.

I am now cleansing my body and eliminating the foods that I am reacting to.  For three months I am avoiding dairy, chicken, eggs, turkey, kidney beans, lima beans, corn, filberts, wheat, rye and spelt.  At the end of the three months, I will start adding these foods back and I should be able to tell what I am truly reacting to and what, if anything, needs to be permanently removed from my diet.

So, what is left?  I am learning...LOTS OF STUFF!  Since I am avoiding all these foods and I do the cooking in the house, the whole family is following this.  We have actually been eating quite well.  I do not feel deprived at all.  Really, the only things I am missing are eggs.  There are some great egg replacers for baked goods, but nothing for a breakfast option.  Scrambled eggs and quiche are staples for us.  I am experimenting with gluten free vegan bread recipes, and they are not that bad if you eat them toasted.  I even made some amazing brownies that Lamar even happily ate.

My problem with much of the gluten-free options is that they are high on starch (tapioca, potato) and low on actual nutrition.  Several of the baked goods I have tried have turned out more gummy or bean tasting.  I will figure out what the best mix for me is.  I have invested a small fortune in "alternative" flours and I am up to the challenge.

By eliminating all these foods, I am also eliminating a huge amount of calories from my diet.  I am not doing this to lose weight, but rather to improve my overall health.  Since I am nursing Calum, I have to keep my calories up so he is not adversely affected.  I feel like I am eating constantly.
 
Shianne is thrilled by the high amount of goat and sheep cheese in the fridge and the high amount of sushi we have been eating.  She does miss her French Toast in the morning.  I have not had a decrease in migraines yet, but I have noticed that I have had NO HEARTBURN.  I have also noticed the 12 pounds that have disappeared from my body...a wonderful benefit!

Over the next three months I will post many of the foods and resources that I have come across and discuss this new adventure in our life.  I have named this diet the Gluten-free Vegan plus Beef Diet.  Lamar has named it MISERY!!

2 comments:

  1. To get in more whole grains there are things you can do. Try buckwheat and teff. I've got a few recipes that use these delicious whole grains in a flat bread. We've used the flat breads for sandwiches, toast, hamburger buns, and jam transportation devices.

    Authentic Foods is supposed to carry a superfine brown rice flour, though I've not tried it. I hear that it gets rid of that gritty feelings that some rice flour baking can have.

    Eggs has been hard for me too but since Shawn is the only one that can't have them everyone else still eats them for breakfasts and what not. Any communal food I make to accommodate everyone. I really like flax meal for an egg substitute better than anything else I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. A new food adventure indeed! elenaspantry.com has some great gluten/vegan ideas. She seems to swear by almond flour. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete