Wednesday, July 30, 2008

More Peas, Please

Shianne, Nora Beth and I decided in March to have a garden this year. We have lived here in this house for 6 years and have never planted anything outside of flowers and a tomato plant that I tend to kill each year before we get any tomatoes. We had some unused yard on the side of our house that I had planted a bulb garden in, but neglected. The bulbs all rotted in the clay soil.

We had a very unusual spring this year with snow in mid April. This led to a late start on getting the ground ready for planting. Lamar helped us bring in compost and I used the rototiller to break up the soil.

I asked the girls what they wanted to plant - so we have blueberries, corn, peas, beans, zucchini, pumpkin, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots. I was not sure if anything would grow in this spot. It is more shaded than I would like to see, but it was worth a try.

We planted three blueberry bushes. I knew that we would not have any measurable amount of berries this year, but is fun to see a few berries on the bushes. We just might get enough to put on some cereal in the morning.

The zucchini's are growing. These may just make an appearance on our grill later this week


The girls discovered today that we had an overabundance of peas ready to be picked. They headed outside with bowls and started picking.

We had a bit of a problem with stringing the peas this year. The original posts that were installed just did not work. By the time I got around to fixing the situation, the peas had grown so much that they do not want to climb the strings now. Oh well, the peas are still growing. Next year I will be more on top of it.

The girls really enjoy being in our garden. Nora Beth will also eat anything that she picks.

These peas are the fruits (or should I say "vegetables") of thier labor. We will sautee them tonight to have with the bbq tenderloin. Pass the peas, please!





1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging!

    I must admit, I never really understood how very phallic zucchini are until I saw the picture of yours - especially the developing one with the wilted flower on the end. Vegetable bukakke?

    ReplyDelete