Monday, November 10, 2008

A busy morning in the kitchen

I got up early on Sunday morning to get busy in the kitchen. I had to make breakfast for the football boys and make the snack and offering for the class I am taking in Portland. I decided to make Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls for the boys and pumpkin bread for my class. I also took a loaf of fresh whole wheat bread to my class with some of my homemade apple pie and blueberry butter preserves.

The recipe I used for the cinnamon rolls is really a vegan recipe that I de-veganized. I have never made cinnamon rolls before and I did not have a back up plan if they turned out like rocks. Fortunately the dough came out perfect. I even made a double batch, ensuring leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.

Here they are, all rolled up in a log. I learned that I did not have the roll as tight as I should have, but they cut just fine regardless.

Here is the finished product out of the oven with the sugar glaze. They smelled divine and were very tender. Not bad for my first attempt at cinnamon rolls.

For dinner I attempted another recipe out of the casserole cookbook I wrote about last week. This time I tried a chicken and wild rice casserole. I had some leftover roasted chicken from the night before and just enough wild rice. I had Shianne put it in the oven for me so it was ready when I got home from my class. I arrived home to find that they had already dug into it and had rave reviews. Even Lamar, who has a blanket rule that he does not like wild rice, said I could make this again anytime and Nora Beth cleaned her plate. Finally - success from my new cookbook!



1 comment:

  1. I just saw this pumpkin roll recipe somewhere. Yours look absolutely beautiful. I wish I had never made cinnamon rolls before. When I was pregnant, I was making them every week.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete