Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What is the party for?

I was feeling the culinary motivation today and decided to get busy in the kitchen.  I got the idea to make Butternut Squash Ravioli .  Nora Beth helped me each step of the way.  First we roasted the squash.




Then made up the filling.  The recipe called for cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.  Next time I will make this more savory with sage and thyme.  The filling tasted more like pumpkin pie than I was looking for.


Using won ton wrappers was an easy alternative to using ravioli sheets.  I would prefer the sheets, but until a holiday fairy brings me the pasta maker I want, I have to use the easy out.  The won ton wrappers make a much thinner ravioli and the flavor is not exactly the same.

I then made a sage butter sauce to go over the top.











To finish off the meal, Nora Beth and I made orange cupcakes.  She was so excited to lick the beaters after I made the frosting.  She even helped me zest the orange for extra flavor.

So what does the the family say about my extra effort for dinner tonight?  Why are we having a party? and Who is coming over?  Can't I just make a nice dinner on a random Wednesday night!

1 comment:

  1. I have three butternut squash in the garage, that I think need to be put in some pasta -- those look AMAZING!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete