Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It is just different this time

I have been thinking a lot lately about how different I feel postpartum with Calum than I did with each of the girls. Each experience has been so different, and each has determined how I approached motherhood with each child. I don't want to judge each experience. I firmly believe that I needed each experience to grow as a woman.

With Shianne, we were in such survival mode. So much had happened in our lives that we were just treading water to stay alive while learning what to do with this new baby. Her birth was so traumatic for me. I never allowed myself the time to check in with my emotions. I was so concerned with keeping everything together that I did not enjoy every moment like I should have. I did not know that it was supposed to be any different. We really grew up together.

With Nora Beth, I was in a really dark spot. I had some problems with postpartum depression. I kept up a good false front, but inside I was sinking into a dark hole. When I reached out for help, I felt brushed under the carpet. I felt like I was treated as "there is no way the doula could be having problems, she is supposed to know how to make it better." It did not help that Nora Beth made constant noise (read SCREAMED) for the first two years. I had this perfect little girl and yet, this dark hole was all consuming for me. I threw myself into my work. In some sick way, I felt that if I could make it better for another mom, then I could heal myself.

Now, here I am, 3 months postpartum with Calum and I am just loving the experience. It is so different. This is the way it is supposed to be. I never mind getting up with him in the middle of the night. I actually look forward to it. Smelling the top of his head is like a drug to me, I can't get enough of it. I have no depression. I do not feel guilty just spending the whole day cuddling with him. The housework and dinner can wait. I am just so filled with joy. My head is so clear. Every mom should have this experience. We got off to a rough start physically, but my mental health was so good and I was so supported by those around me that it now barely registers as a bump in the road.

I have talked quite a bit about all the letting go that I had to do with this last pregnancy. I can really see now that I had to let go of all that "baggage" so I could be open to all the receiving that I have allowed for myself. I have always been the type of person who does for others, and does not take the time to fill myself back up. Well, I am feeling really full right now, almost bursting. I really have the most amazing husband and friends. They have all been right there for me, nurturing me, being there for every thing that I need. For that, I am eternally grateful. This support has allowed me to be the best mom possible. I have no idea how I will make it up to them, except to be there for them when they need it.

Calum is now three months old. He just gets bigger each day. He is such a happy, laid back baby. He has the sweetest giggle and really recognizes the people in his daily life. He is on the verge of rolling over. Still does not sleep during the day, but is a great sleeper at night. His sisters are so good with him. Nora Beth makes sure he is constantly smothered in hugs and kisses and Shianne is great at keeping him happy. Shianne is such a big help to me.

I am more in love with my three kids each day. They are each such individuals. They amaze me by their depth and knowledge. I can get lost in each of their blue eyes. I feel grateful that I have had so much individual time with each child, the direct result of their age gap. Growing up, I had this vision of what my family would look like. I am happy to say, that my reality is so much better!

Again, I am just loving this experience. I am so in love with Calum!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Stacey. I'm so happy for you and for this time in your life. Can't wait to see you!!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete