Tuesday, January 20, 2009

TWD: Berry Surprise Cake

Life (and my stomach) has finally settled down enough for me to bake again. Yeah! I felt bad for missing almost a month of Tuesday's With Dorie. I am back on track with my whisk and oven.

This weeks treat is brought to us by Mary Ann of Meet Me In the Kitchen. She chose the Berry Surprise Cake. I had my reservations about baking this. First of all it called for fresh berries, something that is not in season here in Oregon in January. I was able to find some berries, non organic, and they cost me a small fortune - good thing I have not started the food budget yet! Second, this cake uses a large amount of heavy cream, delicious, but to rich for my stomach these days.

I baked the cake the night before. I was so careful with the eggs and treated them like the divas that they are and my cake still fell! UGH! I was not going to let this discourage me. The recipe called for cutting off the top layer of the cake and hallowing out the center. I chose to just hallow out the center and use the piece that I cut out on top to make it look like a tiered cake.

The cake came together easily. I was tempted to try it myself, but instead I sent it to work with Lamar to share during his inventory. It got rave reviews from his co-workers. I will try this cake again, but when berries are in season.

5 comments:

  1. I can't imagine buying berries right now. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and will definitely be one to try again in July.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldn't even find raspberries at my local store. your cake looks absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks GREAT! Way to make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fabulous job....maybe next time you'll get to have some.:)

    ReplyDelete