Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hawaii

We have arrived in Hawaii and are having a great time. The flight was easy, especially since we both slept most of the way. We are staying in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. Our condo is great. Right on the ocean, in fact that is all we can see from our lanai. The sound of the water is wonderful. We have not closed the patio door yet!

Our first night, we just acclimated ourselves to where we were. Did a drive around Kona, found a farmers market and picked up some fresh fruit then went out for dinner. Yes, the umbrella drinks were initiated! Lamar enjoyed his first Mai Tai (and a few more after that!) We watched a beautiful sunset from where we were sitting. This view is very similar to the one from our condo.


On day two we headed to the beach. The weather was perfect, and since it was on a weekday, not much of a crowd at all. The water felt wonderful. So relaxing. I spent most of the time on the beach under an umbrella in a state of complete relaxation. Even in the shade, with sunscreen, I came away on the crispy side. The burn is not that bad, just a little tender. Oh, the curse of being a red-head with fair skin!


Yesterday we got up early and did a drive around the island. We wanted to go and see the volcano Mauna Loa. We were both fascinated by the scenery on the drive. When we made it up to the crater we found out that there was a warning out for high levels of sulphur dioxide in the air. We did not stay long since the air was making me feel sick. It was so foggy that we were not able to see much anyways. We did see some steam vents.


We made it around to the Hilo side of the island and found a wonderful botanical garden. The plants were so beautiful. The walk had us winding around a beautiful stream and took us to some amazing views of the ocean. I have an "I want" list that is a mile long after seeing all these beautiful flowers!

While walking through the gardens we came across this Tiki named "KU." Lamar was immediately drawn to him.

We made it back to Kona just in time to grab some dinner at the Kona Brewing Factory. We had a great time and some yummy food.

Today, I was able to sleep in. It was so wonderful to wake up to the ocean and and sound of the tropical birds outside my window. Lamar headed out early for a round of golf. I plan to completely enjoy my relaxing morning. I see a nap on the lanai in my future!

Tonight, there is an art and music festival happening. We thought we would check it out before heading to a luau (I know, more touristy than I like, but it sounds like fun.)

We are having a great and most importantly, relaxing time!

3 comments:

  1. Not fair... ;-P I hope you have a wonderful time Bongo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This sounds like the most relaxing vacation ever. Just hearing about all of your sleep and napping makes me happy.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, this is so nice. I can hear the contentment, relaxation in your voice. This must be all the more peaceful during pregnancy/third trimester as you start to feel a mama-zen. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete