Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bread - in 5 Minutes!

I have posted several times about bread recently. I am really enjoying baking bread on a regular basis now. I can survive without R2D2! I got a new cookbook a while back called Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day. The title made it sound to good to be true. A fresh loaf of bread in 5 minutes with no kneading? Well it is true. The whole idea is that you make a large batch of dough and keep in refrigerated and you pull out the necessary amount when you are ready to bake. This is so easy and the results are just delicious.

This is a loaf of light whole wheat bread that we enjoyed for dinner tonight. This is the third loaf from my current batch in the fridge. Each loaf is tasting a little more "sour" exactly the way the recipe said it would.

I am thinking that after we return from our holiday trip, I may actually bake bread on a daily (or almost daily) basis. I am borrowing a Grain Grinder from a friend (Thanks Linda!) and I have been grinding my own flour to use with each recipe. This has such a different flavor from the flour purchased in the store.

This new found enjoyment of baking bread does not call for any special equipment, but I am really eyeing a bread stone and pizza peel to make the process easier (and more authentic).

5 comments:

  1. Recipe, please! That looks amazing.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing this too. We are on our third batch, and have made bread everyday with it, plus pizza twice and flatbread several times with indian food. I love that it actually is simple, and so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this cookbook too, but always gravitate to my Peter Reinhart or King Arthur Flour books....or my sourdough starter! But since it seems to be getting such good reviews I think I might have to try out one of the batches from the 5 mintues book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this slight addiction to bread

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot get my bread to rise when I use hand ground flour. What's your secret? Have you ever tried a silpat to bake your bread on? It cooks my challah (made with store bought flour) so nice and evenly.

    ReplyDelete