Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie, Take 2

I had an epiphany on Sunday. This Tuesday's With Dorie was causing some stress for me, mainly because I could not guarantee that I could bake on every Tuesday. Then it hit me. I do not have to bake on Tuesday, I just have to blog about it on Tuesday. Light bulb moment! I baked on Monday for Monday Night Football.

This weeks challenge of Linzer Sables (p.134) was delicious. The recipe can be found here. I chose to use Filberts (aka hazelnuts for anyone outside of the Pacific Northwest) since they are my favorite nut of all time. The recipe had an option of making the cookies into sandwich cookies, which I of course did. I did not have the raspberry or apricot jam that the recipe suggested, so I used some of my homemade carrot cake jam, thinking it would pair well with the nuts. HOME RUN......These were delicious! I am not sure if my substitution is within the "rules," but, for those of you who know me well, when do I listen to rules? It is a well known fact that I am completely unable to follow a recipe.

The dough was easy to make and cleanup was a breeze. My only complaint was that the dough got soft quickly and was difficult to handle. Fortunately, it made a small batch of cookies so I was able to work through the dough quickly. These will definitely make another appearance in my kitchen again.

Now looking at my photography. I am realizing that if I am going to get serious about this food blogging (and eventually make my own cookbook) I need to improve my photography of food. I have been doing research on this one. I have envisioned some props and better lighting and even a new camera (hint hint Santa). I know I have stuff in my craft room that will work, I just have to find the back half of my craft room, ugh!

3 comments:

  1. So it is a weekly challenge? That would be tough. Daring Bakers is every month. I would love to see a cookbook from you. I read a blog that uses scrapbooking paper as a background, so it is easy to change. Photographing food is very challenging.

    I'll admit the only thing that is keeping me from joing a baking group is nuts. I just don't like nuts very much, and so many desserts require them. Your last two recipes did. I so wish I liked them.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I'm so loving all of your posting. I've been missing you.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used hazelnuts too with marionberry jam.

    ReplyDelete