Thursday, April 2, 2009

Another Kitchen Death

I had intended on writing about a new bread recipe I tried out today. I am a huge fan of Dave's Killer Bread. It is locally made, but costs about $6 a loaf, a little spendy for the amount of bread that we go through. I found his recipe for Killer Whole Wheat Bread on-line and was excited to make it. I ground some fresh wheat and started mixing. It came time to knead the dough and I decided to do it in my Kitchen Aid mixer today, just to be lazy. I started the mixer and walked away to get some laundry.

I realized about 5 minutes later that the mixer was no longer making it's normal sound. I walked towards the kitchen and saw the smoke. I instantly had visions of the fire department coming - we now know that they can make it up our hill since they visited our neighbors house late last night (all is well, they just get to replace their heating system like we did in December). I quickly unplugged the mixer and put out the flame. No damage to the kitchen, except for the horrendous smell that is now encompassing my entire house. The mixer on the other hand is destined for burial. I should bury it next to R2D2. They both died trying to provide bread for my family. This time I was actually making "Killer" bread!

Fortunately the dough was salvageable and is now in the oven. I hope the fragrance of fresh bread will mask the burning odor. I called Kitchen Aid to check on warranty/repair/replacement and I am better off getting a new machine. I started shopping on line. I think I have found the one I want - I just need to discuss it with Lamar since I will upgrade a bit. This is an essential kitchen appliance for me - I use it every day. As for Lamar's opinion on this whole situation is that I should have just purchased the bread at the store!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Dave's Killer bread too! I get the 21 grain (or something like that....) MMMMMMM! But I hear you on the price! SO much cheaper to make your own. Please post on the results! And I feel your pain with smoking applicances....it was our coffee roaster yesterday. So sad to see a beloved family member go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he cooked, and I don't just mean heating stuff up, he'd understand. ;P

    ReplyDelete