Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Master Food Preserver

I DID IT! I have now earned the title of Master Food Preserver through Oregon State University. I have been taking classes for several months and just finished up two weeks ago. The official news came in the mail today with my final exam results.

The class covered so much information including jams and jellies, pickling, freezing, pressure canning, hot water bath canning and dehydrating. We processed all kinds of produce in class along with meats. There was even one day devoted to salsa. I learned so much. It was a fascinating class.

So why did I decided to do this. I grew up watching my grandmothers can, but I was never sure why things were done certain ways. I wanted to learn the proper procedures. I am such a stickler for food safety and I wanted to make sure the food I was preserving would be perfect for my family.

I now have some volunteer hours to fulfill, but I am halfway there. I have some classes planned and will help out at some community outreach projects in the next few months. The class was well worth the work involved.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!

    I wanna join your classes - where do you post them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I really want to do this next year. Can you point me in the right direction?

    ReplyDelete