Monday, August 17, 2009

Life - the unexpected

Sunday morning started off like any other weekend day. Lamar got up early to go golfing with some friends and the girls and I were slow to start. We finally got our act together. Shianne had a day planned with some friends and Nora Beth and I were going to go see a movie together. Just as I was walking out the door, the phone rang. I chose to not answer it, for two reasons...1. we were running late and 2. I just assumed it was another "are you still pregnant" phone call. I closed the door and went about to get the girls to their activities.

I feel bad. I should have answered the phone. While sitting in the movie, my cell phone started going off (I had it on silent). Lamar text me to let me know that it was his parents who were calling when we left to let us know that Lamar's nephew Shaun had suddenly passed away. This is shocking family news. You do not expect a healthy 28 year old to have a presumed heart attack. Shaun was Lamar's only nephew, the only child of Lamar's older brother Andrew.

After much deliberation last night, we came to the conclusion that Lamar needed to fly out to Omaha for the services. The service is to be held on Wednesday. Lamar leaves on Tuesday morning and comes back on Thursday afternoon. This is risky, remember I am over 41 weeks pregnant. This was a tough decision. The way this pregnancy has gone, I will still be pregnant in two weeks!

Of course, I do not want Lamar to miss the birth. I also know how important it is to be with family in times of need. Lamar has such a small immediate family, that to miss this would be unimaginable to him. So to Omaha he goes. My mantra has changed from "baby come OUT" to "baby PLEASE stay IN!"

We have talked about what would happen if baby was to come while he is gone. Lamar has serious concerns about leaving me alone right now. What would happen if labor began in the middle of the night with no other adult here? I assured him that I have amazing care and some friends that I know will be right here for me to help out until he comes home. It will all work out and I am feeling very comfortable with the decision. Let me rephrase that. I am not really comfortable with the decision, but there is no right answer and to worry just creates more stress for me, thus forcing me into being comfortable. It is all part of letting go of control. We discussed inducing me last night or today, but that is just not an option that I really want to do. It is better for baby and me to just let nature run its course. I am just going to take it easy and hope that labor does not happen until later in the week.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so, so, so sorry for you and Lamar and Shaun's whole family. How horrible for his whole family. I will keep them in my thoughts.

    PLEASE let me know if you need anything! Tavy and I love grocery shopping and would be happy to save you the walking. We'd also be happy to come help distract the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear this. How terribly sad for everyone. You and your family are in my thoughts. I'm sure things will work out just the way they're supposed to, even if it's not how you planned. Your ability to let go is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. Everything is going to work out, no matter what happens. I am so sorry that Lamar has had to make such an emotional decision -- I can't imagine what he's going through. You are surrounded by friends that love and support you and will do whatever they can to meet your needs right now.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Baby,
    Snuggle in with mama and keep her warm and comfortable until Friday. We all can't wait to meet you *after* daddy comes home.

    ~Karinda

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete