Sunday, August 2, 2009

I am more than huge!

It seems like everyday I have someone make a comment about how "huge" I am. What is it about pregnancy that people lose all social politeness and feel that it is OK to comment on a woman's size? Yes, I am aware that it looks like I am smuggling a watermelon out of the grocery store. Yes, I am aware that none of my clothes fit.

Why can't we live in a society that sees the amazing gift of life that is growing in my belly? Why can't you comment on the joy that I am carrying, the glow of my skin, the amazing experience I am a part of?

"You are about to pop!" "You must be ready to explode?" When was the last time you saw a person explode? This is something that would never be said to a man with a large "beer belly." I have seen "beer bellies" that are larger than my baby bump!

Instead of concentrating on the healthy child that is growing within me, I hear comments on how big I am. I honestly feel honored that my body knows what it is doing. It knows exactly how to grow this baby and how to get it here. My body is not going to grow a baby that it cannot get out. I do not need to change my birth plan because you think that the baby is "to big." What is "to big?" My stomach measures exactly where it is supposed to be at this point of pregnancy. I have amazing prenatal care. Don't you think that if there was any concern, we would immediately address it? I actually weigh less with this pregnancy than I did with the previous two.

I am going to enjoy these last few days I have until I meet my little boy. I am going to embrace the beautiful belly. I am growing life within me. This is my last time to enjoy this and I have no desire to rush through it.

2 comments:

  1. People are poopy. I think you and your baby belly are absolutely gorgeous!

    Tell the Little Prince for me that while I'm excited to meet him, I think he should take all the time he needs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey

    Try not to care what people say. You are gorgeous.
    Take it from a mom who had a very tiny belly and couldnt help it and a very very tiny unhealthy baby. You are perfect and he is perfect. I would have given anything to have been bigger and not so sick and to have been able to carry full term and then therefore C. to be bigger so he could have stayed in longer. Your little guy is lucky to have a healthy mommy and to be able to bake the entire nine months where he needs to be instead of an incubator.
    You are a great mommy. Enjoy the feeling of him in there I miss that so much.
    ((((Hugs))))

    ReplyDelete