Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TWD: Coconut Butter Thins

As promised, this weeks Tuesday's With Dorie features one of my favorite ingredients, coconut! This weeks choice of Coconut Butter Thins are brought to us by Julia of The Barefoot Kitchen Witch. One of the best things about Julia is that she also has a 4 year old kitchen helper!

These cookies came together very easily. I questioned the lime and coriander, but had faith in Dorie. The coconut that I had on hand was unsweetened, so I increased the sugar to 1 cup. I also did not use any nuts, due to a nut allergy at my husbands work. To compensate I also increased the coconut to 1 cup.

The recipe called for putting the batter into a zippered plastic bag and refrigerating. Due to my earthiness, I opted to not use the plastic bag and just piped the cookies onto the cookie sheet. This was very simple. Since I did not chill the dough, it spread a little more than if I would have followed the directions. I can live with this.

The cookies came out of the oven and quickly started to disappear. My girls really liked these. Not to sweet and the lime was a great accent to the coconut. I was afraid they would taste of some sort of tropical drink, but they did not. The flavors were in perfect balance and I also liked the buttery crunch.

The real test to these cookies was when Lamar came home. Of course, he grumbled that I made cookies instead of doing some other important house project, but he quickly recanted. He went back for more than seconds and claimed all the rest for work. The word from work was that the cookies were divine!

2 comments:

  1. Well they look gorgeous! I liked these cookies more than I thought I would. I keep nibbling at them LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, sounds like you got some nice brownie points! Yea!

    They look delish :)

    ReplyDelete