Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Food budget, The End

I know that I have been absent for about a week. This past week has really been a blur. Not much of anything has happened, except I have felt terrible from the flu bug that kept a hold of me. Not much cooking happening. My family has been fed some scrounge meals - you know the ones that take as little effort as possible and the parts of the meals do not match.

I added up what we spent for the month on food and we came to a grand total of $281.19. This breaks down to an average of $70.30 per week. That is almost $40 UNDER BUDGET for the month. Yeah - we did it!

I was asked the question of weather I think it is better to do one big grocery stock up each month or to make multiple trips throughout the month. This answer varies for different people. For us, I have found that it is best to stock up on the dry staples once every other month and then fill in with lots of fresh produce and dairy on a weekly basis. Having a weekly meal plan really cuts down on the waste. It is also handy to have the makings for a few basic meals always on hand for those days that just get out of hand - we all have them.

For the next month I am really going to work on cleaning out the freezer. I need to get it defrosted. We are planning on investing in a large quantity of buffalo meat and pork. BBQ season is just around the corner and we will have a new baby before we know it. I am still going to try to keep to this food budget to help lessen the blow of purchasing the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment