Friday, February 27, 2009

Desperately Seeking Comfort

It is no secret around my house that I feel terrible. A not so wonderful souvenir of the Vegas trip. The full on flu. There is really not a symptom that I do not have right now. I am hacking away like a two pack a day smoker! I am firmly planted on the couch with blankets, pillows, Costco quantities of Kleenex and of course my girlfriends...Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte.

I am desperately seeking comfort today. Lamar is at work dosing out medicine to all the other sick people in this city. No one home to care for me. Of course, Nora Beth will bring me an unlimited supply of goldfish crackers if I ask, but not quite what I am after.

I want comfort food. Warm, creamy, sweet, comfort food. As a kid my grandmother would make me rice pudding whenever I did not feel good. As an adult, I seek this comfort. I wanted someone to make it for me. After throwing my own little imaginary tantrum on the couch, I emerged from my blankets and pillows and ventured forth to the kitchen and made it myself. It was delicious. I had two bowls. Comfort achieved. Back to the couch with Season 2.

So what is your comfort food?


4 comments:

  1. What a sweet grandma you had. That pudding looks delicious.

    My comfort food is homemade wheat bread toast with melted butter. I had some this morning. The gluten worked amazingly.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the gluten worked for you. Homemade bread is another great comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you feel so miserable!

    Miso soup is one of my comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother always made me poached eggs with buttered toast and lukewarm tea when I was sick, and that's what I generally crave, but I really need the Mama and the tray for the full-effect. :)

    As an adult, I tend to crave not cooking when I am sick--popsicles, jell-o and other instant food.

    And nothing beats soup when you are sick. Are you doing steam treatments? I had the flu at 12 weeks pregnant, and it sucked. The only thing that helped was steam. I did my stockpot of boiling water, eucalptus (sp), and a beach towel. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete