Friday, February 13, 2009

Food Budget, Day 12

I scrambled on what I was going to make for dinner today. What I had planned did not appeal to me at all today. I was really wanting some Italian food without garlic. I immediately thought lasagna. I did not have any ricotta and the thought of going to the store did not appeal to me, so I decided to make my own. It is really easy. I combined a gallon of milk, some salt and citric acid and heated on the stove. It begins to curdle and look like the top picture.
After it reaches the necessary temperature, I drained the whey out by hanging it in some cheesecloth. The below picture is of the finished product. It was so delicious. It had a very sweet flavor. So much better than the stuff you buy in the store. The whole process took about 1 hour, largely unattended.
I roasted a sweet potato, onion, carrots and two new potatoes until just browned and layered them with whole wheat noodles, the ricotta, cheese and homemade sauce from the freezer. The end result was just delicious. I also made some whole wheat focaccia bread and a salad. Lamar initially complained about there being no meat in the lasagna, but he then proceeded to go back for seconds!

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! Yummy. I have yet to make cheese, so maybe I need to stock up on the ingredients needed to try.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete