Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Food Budget, Day 16

I want to start out by answering some questions. First of all, the blender pancakes can be made with kefir instead of yogurt. Buttermilk would even work In a pinch you could even use regular milk with added whey. Other grains can also be used, really the sky is the limit. Check out the website www.suegregg.com for additional inspiration.

As for snacks - yes we snack A LOT! I seem to be ravenous these days. I mentioned before that Nora Beth would happily live off of plain Corn Flakes - three meals a day plus two snacks worth. I do not approve of the consumption of that many corn products. I at least buy her a natural / organic kind. For snacks other than Corn Flakes, we eat quite a few apples, I cannot seem to get enough of them these days. Carrots are a big hit. Along with granola bars, nuts, crackers and dried fruits.

For lunch, Shianne takes her lunch to school. She has a serious aversion to the food they serve there - she does not believe it is food (and I have to agree!). I eat quite a few salads, fruit and cheese trays and sandwiches. Nora Beth loves pasta, cheese, scrambled eggs and toast for lunch. Lamar usually takes leftovers from the previous nights dinner for lunch. All of this is included in the budget, but is not nearly as exciting as the one big meal I prepare each day.

Now, Monday nights dinner was not that exciting. This is a really busy week for me, and of course, I am dealing with another migraine. I tried to get in with the acupuncturist, but it did not work. With enough ice packs on my head, I was able to get the pounding down to a low throb. I made tacos with homemade tortillas and a salad of cucumber, green pepper, tomatoes and jicama. A very easy dinner. The hamburger meat I had pre-cooked in the freezer and I mixed it with some pinto beans and my own homemade taco seasoning.

For breakfast on Tuesday I will use the leftover tortillas and taco meat and combine it with some scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos.

No comments:

Post a Comment