Sunday, February 15, 2009

Food Budget, Day 14

I have spent most of this time talking about what I have been making for dinner, and neglecting the fact that I do make breakfast. This morning I made pancakes, but not the traditional kind. I made blender pancakes from Sue Gregg. My family actually really likes these, and they are simple to make. You do have to plan ahead since the grains need to soak overnight. Luckily, I did, and everything was ready to go when we woke up this morning.



Blender Pancakes
1 1/4 cup whole plain yogurt
1/2 cup warm filtered water
2 T melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup raw brown rice
1/2 cup raw rolled oats

Place in a blender and blend for 3-5 minutes. Cover blender and let set at room temperature for 12-24 hours

In the morning add to the blender
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg

Blend for an additional 3 minutes

From this point, make pancakes as usual.

These make a thin pancake that is actually very tasty.

I topped them with some homemade blueberry syrup that we had made over the summer.

The first time I made these, I had to get over the idea of leaving a dairy product out on the counter overnight. I have been reading extensively about soaking grains and the history of dairy recently. The nutrients in the grains are more readily available for digestion. We are so brainwashed by the modern ways of food preparation in the past 100 years, that we have forgotten the traditional ways of eating and the benefits of doing so. Yes, I will admit that there have been some great advances, but as a whole, our food has less nutrition today than 100 years ago.

Now on to the rest of our day. Shianne had softball tryouts, both girls needed haircuts, I had a chocolate cake to make and I had to go to the grocery store. I got it all done and was home in time to make dinner. At the grocery store I spent 16.27, this brings my total for the week up to 66.27 - YEAH - UNDER BUDGET!!

For dinner I made fondue. We cooked zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, chicken, steak and shrimp in some of my homemade chicken stock. The girls love this meal. The novelty of being able to cook their own food always entertains them. Plus it is ultra healthy and budget friendly. I fed the girls first, then Lamar and I had a later dinner. For dessert I made a wonderful chocolate layer cake that I will write about on Tuesday. It turned out to be a great evening.

2 comments:

  1. I have a blender pancake that I make too -- with cottage cheese instead of yogurt and more oats instead of rice. I will have to try yours.

    Can't wait to see your chocolate cake on Tuesday.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could I use kefir instead of yogurt do you think?

    Also, I'm curious about what you guys do for snacks and lunch? Do you just not do snacks? Snacks and lunch seem to eat the bulk of our budget. We eat A LOT of fruit as snacks, and surprisingly that gets expensive.

    ReplyDelete