Tuesday, February 24, 2009

TWD: Carmel Crunch Bars


This weeks recipe was chosen by Whitney of What's Left on the Table. I was really excited to make these. I am a huge fan of Heath bars. Now to add these to a cookie with additional chocolate and a crunchy shortbread cookie...this is bordering on perfection for me.

Of course, I did not have the Heath bars on hand, so I called Lamar to pick two up while he was out running errands. He of course made a comment on "pregnancy cravings" and agreed to do it. He knows better than to argue about food with the pregnant version of me, I just may make him drive to Corvallis (40 miles away) for Juicy Orange Sorbet like I did when I was pregnant with Shianne! As asked, he came home with the candy bars having no idea that he would benefit from this one.

I did not have any really good chocolate in the house and, again, it does not fit into the food budget experiment. I used some chocolate chips that I had in the pantry.

The dough came together easily, and since there was no eggs in it, I was able to sample it raw...yum! I did not bake it with the aluminum foil like the recipe calls for. The foil imparts a negative energy into the food (sorry, the Ayurvedic training coming out!). I put the dough on a well buttered baking stone that I recently got and needed to be seasoned. This worked perfectly.

After dinner we cut into these. Lamar made the comment that I could make these again anytime, in fact, he went back for seconds! Nora Beth would not eat them, but she does not like a lot of sweets - I am not sure where here taste buds came from!

Another great recipe from Dorie. Whitney, thanks for trusting your kids on the important decision of choosing this recipe!

3 comments:

  1. These were fabulous.

    Glad to know that your sweetie will indulge your cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the bars were a success. We all loved them too.

    ReplyDelete