Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Food Budget, Day 24

I mentioned last week about the wonderful farm fresh eggs I am getting now. These eggs come from chickens that are truly free-range that can eat feed, grass and bugs as opposed to the battery hens that live in cages that they can't even turn around in. The shells of these eggs are beautiful shades of tan and so much stronger than the grocery store eggs.

The yolks are also a very deep yellow/orange color. So much richer than the factory produced ones. We even got a surprise from this egg - twin yolks! The eggs also have a much richer flavor.

For those of you who are local to me, you can get your own eggs by e-mailing Matt at polskafarms@gmail.com. He is located here in West Salem.

So what did I do with these eggs this morning? I made a Dutch Baby Pancake. So easy to do and a nice change from the normal breakfast routine. I served it with some homemade applesauce that I had canned in the fall.


As for food for the rest of the day. Lamar, Nora Beth and I ate up some leftovers for lunch. By dinner time I was feeling terrible from the yucky bug I brought home with me from Las Vegas. I was competent enough to make some macaroni and cheese for the girls, of course, paired with peas. I have them convinced that you cannot eat mac and cheese without peas! Shianne made the comment that I must not be feeling good, because I never make this meal unless I need some comfort myself.

1 comment:

  1. I've told my kids the same thing about mac and peas.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete