Saturday, August 2, 2008

Farmers Market

We went to the Saturday Farmers Market downtown this morning. This is something we like to do every Saturday. The girls always enjoy it. They get a small kettle corn to enjoy while we walk around and look at all the goodies. Today my friend Lora joined us with her two boys.

The Balloon Clown was at the market today. The girls love to watch him make animals out of balloons. Nora Beth chose a pink flower and Shianne chose an alligator. Nora eventually dropped her flower and it popped. Fortunately the Balloon Clown made her a replacement. The Balloon Clown is actually a local surgeon who volunteers his time making balloons to raise money for facial reconstruction surgeries for children. He always gets a good tip from me. Looks at the smiles he creates!
I actually had a list of produce that I needed to get at the market. I have my menus planned out for the week. I have found this is easier to budget for my food and to eliminate waste. I got corn, peppers, tomatoes, cantalope, sweet potatoes, green onions and cabbage. I spent about $15, which is 25% of the food budget. This is beautiful, fresh, local produce, so I feel good about my bounty. My biggest find at the market was two hanging baskets. I have been wanting two baskets for our back deck. This grower was closing out his inventory and clearing out for $10 a basket. What a steal! I now have two beautiful baskets hanging on the deck.

As for my food plan for the day. We had scrambled eggs, cantalope and some yummy peanut butter chocolate chip bread from the bakery. I normally do not purchase this kind of bread, but I had a free frequent buyer coupon. It was a treat for the girls since I never get this kind of bread. For lunch we had leftover quiche. For dinner, we are going to a BBQ with friends, but I am taking a pasta salad. I will mix the pasta with fresh veggies and make a dressing. Very easy, and well within the budget.

As you can tell, I had a fun day with the girls, but still no mom in labor. I am hoping tonight that will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment