Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Food Budget, Day 5


Today we enjoyed the zucchini bread for breakfast that I made yesterday. We had to go to Costco to get some food. This is a store that can definitely break the budget. I used to refer to it as the $100 store, but it is now the $200 store. I find that I spend more when Lamar is working than when he is not. Not sure why. I had a game plan today. I was going to stick to my list and not add anything else. I needed to get eggs, cheese, oatmeal, produce, salsa and tortilla chips. My grand total came to $91.12. This is obviously over my budget, but when you factor in what will be consumed in the week and what will be consumed over the month I am right on track. $21.02 will be consumed this week and $63.51 will be used over the month and $6.59 over the next 3 months. Sometimes it does pay to buy in bulk. I definitely have it figured out what is cheaper at Costco versus our local grocery store. Our store does carry quite a few organic options, especially in produce.


As for dinner tonight, I used a recipe from this months Real Simple magazine. It was for Spaghetti with Broccoli and Lemon. I expanded the recipe and added some leftover chicken from last night to make it a little heartier. This meal got rave reviews from everyone. It had a light summery flavor, but was very satisfying. There was enough left over for Lamar to take to work tomorrow.


Still no moms in labor. I am starting to get concerned since we have plans to go to a concert on Saturday and I am scheduled to take a class on Monday and Tuesday that will have me in Portland both days. Both events will be cancelled unless two babies arrive this week. I really enjoy both my clients right now and I know that when they have their babies will be the perfect time, but sometimes I like to be selfish and have a life of my own. I really should know better and not schedule a life anytime I have a mama due. I also do not like to have two mamas due at the same time, but it goes to show that when two moms who have due dates almost 3 weeks apart will almost always have their babies back to back, but mamas who have due dates on the same week have their babies 2 weeks apart. That is just the reality of my life. I really do love to attend births, sorry about my rant.


Tomorrow, I will do a project for the girls in the backyard that I have been meaning to do for months. I am excited to finally get this done!

5 comments:

  1. You deserve to rant...

    I make that dish all of the time, except with bowtie pasta. It is my go-to, as it takes as long to make as it does to boil the pasta.

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definately one we will make again!

    I am just glad to know that someone is actually reading this blog! LOL

    :) stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am!!! Did you see I linked you on my last post? I think your food budget project is very interesting.

    Hope your with a mama right now.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw the link. I am going to post links to my favorite blogs as soon as my mamas have their babies. You of course, are one of them!

    :) Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll follow you as you try to keep to a food budget. Our food budget is over the roof right now. It's atleast $900 a month for a family of five (one child has to have soy milk and he drinks it all the time since he is only 21 months) plus a daycare that has anywhere from two to four kids at a time eating. I just barely started a slimfast diet which has me buying a lot of veggies. I am so lucky that we grew a bigger garden this year. We are growing 6 different kinds of tomatoes, corn, zuchinni, pumpkin, cucumbers and we have a mini orchard that has apples, peaches, plums, and we had a few rasberries earlier. The main thing is getting me to make healthier, cheaper dinners. The diet seems to have great dinners but not everyone likes them. Can't please everyone!

    ReplyDelete