Friday, August 29, 2008

Life, in six words

Today started off like many mornings, rushed to get to an appointment. I dropped Nora Beth off at the sitter and while driving to my appointment, I changed the radio station from kid bop music to the Oprah network. There was a discussion with a writer from Smith Magazine discussing Six Word Memoirs. This is a premise of a new book, just released. The topic intrigued me. How would I summarize my life in 6 words? How would someone else summarize my life? Their life? Is this summary final? Can it change from day to day, like shoes?

This thought obsessed me all day. What would I say? Would it be profound? Intellectual? Funny? Sarcastic? Emotional? Who am I? What has my life been?

Found love. Planted garden. Smiled often.

That's it! If I do not second guess myself, this is my life. It has meanings on many levels, not just the most obvious. It speaks to me and about me - at least in my own mind.

So for anyone reading this, does this do me justice?

What are your six words?

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooh! This is going to be hard, but I'm up to the challenge. I'm going to spend the weekend thinking about it.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book called Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure in which famous and not-so-famous writers were asked to provide their life stories in six word sentences. They responded with funny, sad and often poignant quotes that are a short record or chronicle of their lives. Many of them are really inspiring. For more information about the book, some sample quotes and the chance to add your own six-word memoir, read Your Life Sentence ~~ Six-Word Memoirs or Quotations.

    Personally, I like the last one which relates to my family. I have fourteen and sixteen year old sons for whom the quote is absolutely, positively true...they have their whole lives ahead of them. The quote is:

    "Fourteen years old, story still untold."

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete