Friday, August 15, 2008

Mini-Me

It is said that dogs and their owners begin to look like each other after a while. One could say that there are similarities between Lamar and Boba and myself and Zara (in another post I will add pictures to show). Does this similarity extend to friends? From the look of this picture I would have to say so. When I first met Lamar and his friend Mike, both had hair on their heads, no facial hair and smaller waists. Now look at them. There was no pre arrangement for this look. So who looks like who? Who is the owner and who is the dog? Both probably have some sort of comment on this, and I would have to sensor the responses. I am just getting a good laugh out of this!
It was really hot today, 100+ degrees. I got the bright idea to bake brownies. I had a meeting to go to for the Green Salem group. I got a new vegan cookbook recently and this recipe looked intriguing. No fat, no eggs. Surprisingly, these turned out quite well and I even fooled a non-healthy eater to like these and go back for seconds. Lamar was not quite as impressed. I will let the girls try them tomorrow - they are true dessert connoisseurs!

I made it to the grocery store today. Actually, I ended up going to three different ones, plus the farmers market. I reviewed my menu for the week and checked to see what I had on hand. I made a list and was determined to stick to it. I went to Costco first. Lamar wanted to add several things to the cart that were not on my list (or budget!) He wanted Fillet Mignon and lemon meringue tarts. The meat alone was 1/3 of my weekly budget. I stuck to my guns and did not allow these in my cart. I told him that I would get him a steak at one of my next stops. He finally conceded and I remained on track. I was really good and spent $57.01 on food. This even included what I need for a BBQ that I am hosting on Sunday. I am $3 under budget for the week, so for the month to date I am right on track!

For dinner I made fajitas, homemade tortillas, Spanish rice and refried beans. A yummy meal and always a hit with the family. Nothing came from a can or box. There was just the right amount left over for Lamar to take for lunch tomorrow.

I am still in awe of the birth I attended yesterday. The mom was just amazing. I do have to admit that it was really nice to go to bed last night and not have to worry about my phone ringing or setting up child care arrangements (plus a back up plan to be on the safe side). I have plans for my time off of attending births. I really want to play with the girls and get some projects done around the house. There is so much I want to do and only one of me.


1 comment:

  1. Josh did figure they were "special" when you mentioned the applesauce... and it's not that he's a non-healthy eater, he's just lazy and doesn't like cooking anything more complicated than a cardboard pizza. ;P But he eats anything I make!

    But those were quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete