Sunday, August 3, 2008

Food Budget, Day 3

I woke up this morning surprised again that I was not called out for a labor. I decided to take full advantage of everyone being home. I still had some of the peanut butter chocolate chip bread. I decided this would make wonderful French toast with bananas in the center. I cut the slices very thick and made a pocket in the center where I stuffed sliced bananas. The bread was dipped in egg and then in crushed Corn Flakes with cinnamon. The toast was then cooked on a buttered griddle. The result was divine. Everyone gave me two thumbs up for this one. This is definitely a sweeter breakfast than I prefer to make, but this bread is pretty special. I need to stay away from the bakery whenever they make this kind! LOL!

We did not eat lunch since we were all stuffed from our late breakfast. Before I knew it, dinner time was fast approaching. I changed my game plan and decided to make homemade pizza. Today was the opening day for Preseason NFL Football, so pizza was definitely in order.

I had a Bob's Red Mill GF pizza crust mix in the pantry. I decided to try this. Since it made enough for two pizzas, I made a Taco Pizza and Cheese Pizza. The dough was difficult to handle and did not come out as crispy as I prefer, but did not taste bad. I had all the toppings on hand, so assembly went fairly quickly. For the taco pizza I used seasoned hamburger, refried beans, taco sauce, onion and cheese. Then topped it with crushed tortilla chips. For the cheese pizza, I used just cheese, go figure. I paired the pizza with salad and beer (OK, the beer was for the adults, remember, Football started today!)

One of my evening lifesavers is the pre-cooked hamburger that I keep in the freezer. I will buy 10 lbs of hamburger and cook it with some onion, garlic and pepper. I then freeze it in 2 cup increments. It is so handy to be able to pull out on a busy night and add to a casserole, tacos or salad.

As for what I spent on food today, I am going to have to estimate it to be about $8 total. I am still on track with my budget. I still have not needed to go to the grocery store since I had so many basics on hand. Lamar will take pizza and salad for lunch tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Your french toast looks YUMMY!

    I love your budgeting idea and your cooking method for beef...that sounds like it would really, REALLY help out!

    ReplyDelete