Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's a Girl

I had the honor of attending a beautiful birth this morning. Two wonderful parents welcomed their daughter. I could not have asked for a better hospital experience. Mom was completely respected. I am still smiling. I am on a complete birth high.

OK- I have to divert from the birth discussion. We just had a moment at our house. Lamar, Shianne and I are sitting and watching a movie. The topic of Manwich just came up in the movie and Shianne just asked "What is Manwich?" That made me smile, since I have never purchased this product. Lamar just about had a heart attack when he realized that our child does not know what Manwich is. Lamar is the king of canned food/processed products! I always make my own sloppy joe sauce, so of course she would not know what this canned product is. That made me smile.

As for the food budget for the day. As mentioned before, I was at a birth today. I ran some errands afterwards. The next thing I knew it was dinner time. Lamar wanted to go out for dinner or order a pizza. Both are budget busters. I had some frozen ravioli in the freezer and some leftover pasta sauce in the fridge from making pizza a few days ago. Shianne went and picked some fresh green beans from the garden. Dinner was suddenly coming together. I had some frozed pre-cooked hamburger (a true dinner saver) that I added to the sauce. I figured out that dinner cost about $6.00. Still well within out budget and much better than going out. I will sit down tomorrow and figure out exactly what I spent this last week for meals. It has definately made me think more and be conscious of the food we are using in the house.

One thing I have noticed in the past week is that we do not have the waste leaving the house that we normally do. I usually have an overflowing trash can on trash day. Today as I left the house, I noticed that our lid actually closed on the trash can. By being more conscious of what comes into the house, we are decreasing what is leaving the house. Not only good for our budget, but also for the environment. Lets see if this stays true for next week.

I still have one more mama ready to have a baby. I really think I will be busy with her tomorrow night, and this is not just wishfull thinking.

Here is to a beautiful birth today and another one tomorrow. Good Night!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a birth high! Here's to you getting another one tomorrow! (crap, I'm lactating, can't toast properly. >.<)

    ReplyDelete
  2. k8, I'll do the toasting part for you (as I have a cosmo in hand right now!)

    Stacey-your manwich comments cracked me up! My daughter got a McD's breakfast sandwich today (LONG story!!!) Anyway, we make something similar at home with whole grain English Muffins, an egg and cheese ...her comment was that she thought our homemade ones were better and that she guessed "they were a lot better for you too" because the McD's one "tasted really greasy" Oh, how much wisdom you can impart on a 5 year old! (She also told her grandma this weekend that she refused to dry her hand with a paper towel because that is wasteful and she needed a real towel!)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete